Privacy & Security Notice
We do collect some technical information when you visit to make your visit seamless. The section below explains how we handle and collect technical information when you visit our website
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
When you browse, read pages or download information on Recreation.gov, we automatically gather and store certain technical information about your visit. This information never identifies who you are. The information we collect and store about your visit is listed below:
- The Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our website;
- The type of browser (e.g., Netscape, Internet Explorer) and operating system (Windows, Unix) used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The pages you visit; and
If you linked to the Recreation.gov website from another website, the address of that website. This information is only used to help us make the site more useful for you. With this data we learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use. We never track or record information about individuals and their visits.
you visit some websites,
their webservers generate
pieces of information known
as cookies. Some cookies
collect personal information
to recognize your computer
in the future. This is not
the case atRecreation.gov,
where we only use non-persistent
cookies or "per-session cookies." These
cookies do not collect personal
information on users and
they are erased as soon as
you leave our website.
Per-session cookies serve technical purposes like providing seamless navigation through Recreation.gov. These cookies do not permanently record data and they are not stored on your computer's hard drive. Recreation.gov cookies are stored in memory and are only available during an active browser session. Again, once you close your browser, the cookie disappears.
If You Send Us Personal Information
If you choose to register for an Application Programming Interface (API) key, your basic information is stored to better understand data download requests in order to better serve our customer's needs. We only share the information you give us with another government agency if your inquiry relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law. We never create individual profiles or give it to any private organizations. Recreation.gov never collects information for commercial marketing.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs commercial software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
The information posted on the Recreation.gov website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. Recreation.gov provides these links and pointers solely for our users' information and convenience. When users select a link to an outside website, they are leaving the Recreation.gov site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website. Recreation.gov:
- does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked website
- does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer
- cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked website
- is not responsible for transmissions that users receive from linked websites
- does not guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 (Accessibility Requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.